Royal Contract Lighting Expands Worldwide
From complete custom designs to modified standard products, Royal Contract Lighting has developed a formula for making each project a success. Our qualified project managers oversee every detail during the design build and modification process, ensuring the proper design intent is achieved. Our engineering and CAD departments create detailed shop drawings, which are used to maintain design integrity and manufacture the fixtures as economically as possible. Finally, our skilled fabrication department executes each project to the highest quality standard.
The addition of a second fabrication facility in China this past year has taken us to the next level. What began 12 months ago as a fledgling division with three employees in an 8,000 square foot manufacturing space is now a burgeoning enterprise with 80 employees completing hundreds of hospitality projects and delivery of thousands of fixtures.
“We have become one of the few truly global hospitality lighting manufacturers,” said Royal Contract President Paul Spacek. “We have the only privately held American lighting factory in China. With the addition of our China facility to our domestic production, we have strategically expanded our worldwide manufacturing base.”
“Royal Contract China is an important step forward in our strategy, strengthening our position as a leader and competitor in all of our key markets. Our presence in Asia will allow us to be closer to our customers and key supplier partners. At the same time, the expanded manufacturing capacity gives us more flexibility to increase production to meet global demand. The China facility is good news for the overall Royal Contract Lighting enterprise, as this greater production capacity creates global growth opportunities across the company and throughout our supply chain.”
“It is our strategy to have production close to our core markets in order to secure short lead-time and world class service to our customers and consumers, and it has proven a successful strategy. Western United States and Asia are key markets for Royal Contract Lighting and therefore I am excited to share our news of the new factory. Having full control of the production process is essential to deliver products of a consistent high quality in a timely and efficient manner” added Spacek.
State-of the art factory
The China division moved into its current 56,000 square foot modern facility in a Xaiolan industrial park in May. A major investment was made in brand new, state-of-the-art machinery for metal fabrication, welding, molding, assembly, painting and finishing. “The new factory is equipped and is run with the same technology, automation and standards for employee safety and product quality as the factory in Massachusetts,” says Spacek.
Location with focus on employees
The location of the new factory, Zhongshan city, has a population of more 3 million and it has been chosen for several reasons, says Spacek: “Zhongshan is in Guandong Province, only 75 km from Hong Kong, and has long been an international trading hub. It is also the lighting capital of China, which gives us access to the best lighting manufacturing workforce in the country. Most of our staff was trained at the top two five-star lighting companies in the region prior to joining Royal Contract Lighting.” Since Guandong Province is the largest production base of light fittings in China, it provides excellent access to suppliers.
“Having manufacturing facilities on the East Coast and in China provides a unique competitive advantage for Royal Contract Lighting” says Spacek. The two facilities share the same physical characteristics – manufacturing departments, factory layout, and signage, but it goes deeper than that. The inherent values – an emphasis on manufacturing quality, engineering innovation, and customer service – are also shared. “Our goal is to produce the highest quality lighting fixtures for our hospitality clients,” says Spacek. “Having two facilities allows us to source the best raw materials at the best price both domestically and in China, to shorten manufacturing time and to service our clients better. The two factories provide perfect synergy and will allow us to grow and expand our business.”
China Factory Profile
- 56,000 square foot facility in brand new building
- New, state-of-the-art equipment
- 80 employees, including 10 engineers, 3 project managers and 3 purchasing/sourcing agents
- Lampshade department with expertise in lampshades ranging from small to 100” diameter and greater
- Full metal fabrication and assembly capability
- State-of-the-art, eco-friendly polishing equipment
Zhongshan: An Ideal Location
- Zhongshan city is located in the southern part of Guandong Province. It is located along the west side of the mouth of the Pearl River, directly opposite Shenzhen and Hong Kong. Given its geographic advantage, the city serves as an international trading hub and one of the biggest manufacturing bases in China.
- Zhongshan is located approximately 75 km from Hong Kong (1.5 hours by high-speed boat) and 39 km from Macau.
- Zhongshan has a population of more than 3 million
- Guangdong Province is the largest production base of lighting fittings in China, and one of the four largest lighting fitting distributing centers in the world.
- There are three universities with educational emphasis on electronics and technology
- Different from other cities and regions in China, Zhongshan’s economy is largely based on the development of its small manufacturing towns. Each of these manufacturing towns is specialized in one manufacturing sector, which has transformed Zhongshan into China leader in light manufacturing industries
- The Zhongshan National Torch High-Tech Industrial Development Zone includes over 1.000 enterprises from more than 20 countries. Major industries in the zone include electronic information technology, biotechnology and pharmacy, packaging and printing, chemical industry and auto parts, equipment manufacturing, energy saving and new energy, micro-electronics and communication.
- Zhongshan Port ranks among the top 10 ports nationwide in terms of container-handling capacity.
Categorized in: Company News